Thursday, May 14, 2009

Wordless Wednesdays - Follow up

This is a picture of my mother showing me the Ethiopian Coffee ceremony. Why is she showing me this? Well, she’s Ethiopian..duh..lol For Mother’s Day, while I gave her a gift card to her favorite store, she gave me culture as a present. Although I focus most of my ancestry researching on my paternal line (mainly because it’s easy access), my maternal line is equally as important. You can read more on the details here.

I have always been proud of the fact that my mother is Ethiopian. I remember when I was younger, telling people that because I thought it was the coolest thing! But, growing up wasn’t much different than any other household. We didn’t speak any foreign languages. She didn’t teach us her language of Tigrinya because she was focused on learning English. In addition, Jacksonville doesn’t really have a strong Ethiopian presence to help people reinforce their culture on their children. I’m sure if we lived in Washington D.C. we would be fluent in Tigrinya.

As I’m going thru this journey, I realize there are a lot of things that I need to focus on. I want to take the time out to learn Tigrinya (I have Tigrinya the EZ-Way CD). I’m also going natural. I’ve had a relaxer for as long as I can remember and I want to see what my hair looks like without the chemicals. For so long, you think that you NEED to have a relaxer. But, I’m tired of that NEED and ready for this WANT…

*pictures will be updated later...having computer issues.*

2 comments:

  1. That's so wonderful, your mother giving you "culture as a present."
    That's great that you seeking to learn more about that part of your heritage.

    Regarding going natural, I recommend the site nappturality.com. It's a great resource for those transitioning to naturaldom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the site. I'm going to have to check it out. :D

    ReplyDelete

Three Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide