Well, I just received my copy of Carolina Trees & Branches and it had an article in there about accessing Wills on the NC Archives MARS SYSTEM. While the information was correctly printed, I found error with the NC Archives website that will cause issue unless fixed soon!!!!
I followed the instructions. Here they are:
- Go to the MARS search Page.
- Scroll Down to "Records of Probate: Wills.."
- click on the "+" sign at the left.
- Find the alphabetical range of the last name of the testator.
- Scroll to the name you need and click on 'View Description' at the right.
- to see images of the pages, click on "view documents" at the right side of the page.
However, in order to download the plugin to view documents, you'll have to go here. I was able to download the plugin and now I'm able to view documents on the NC Archives MARS System.
I hope this helps someone. I sent an e-mail to the IT Branch of the NC Archives. Hopefully, they'll fix it soon. But, how annoying.
I should also note, if you want to use this archive, be aware...IT TIMES OUT WITHIN ABOUT 15 MINUTES OF INACTIVITY!! You'll have to redo the steps above to get to where you were at last.