I've been following DearMYRTLE's checklist on getting organized. If you need to get organized and don't know where to begin, this checklist is for you!!!
Part of the checklist was to get the items for your office that you wanted. I've always wanted a 2 drawer filing cabinet. Office Depot just happened to have this one on sale. It perfectly matches my desk (that my mom found at a thrift store for $20!!). It also subs as a nightstand for the other side of my bed.
I also started on the Family Search Indexing project and indexed 50 records. Trying to pay my genealogical dues in a way. It's very easy! If you're good at data entry, you'll be excellent at this.
Also, I will be attending the Black Family History Day in Morrow, GA. As this is my first genealogy related trip, I'm extremely excited. Also, I will be getting my copy of Mississippi to Africa signed by the author, Melvin J. Collier!!
The week after this trip, I'm taking another relatively short genealogy/family trip to Elizabeth City. I'll get there on Friday with just enough time to do some research at the county office!!! With only one day to do official research, I will have to make sure I write a to do list for myself so I don't forget anything. Any ideas?
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Saturday, January 10, 2009
I'm late as all get out with Memes. But it doesn't mean I'm any less appreciative about receiving them.
George Geder and Genealogy Traces honored me with the Proximidade Award. The Proximidade blog award details are as follows:
"These blogs invest and believe in PROXIMITY - nearness in space, time and relationships! These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in prizes or self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers!
Deliver this award to eight bloggers, who must choose eight more and include this cleverly-written text into the body of their award."
I've added the award to my sidebar. As a recipient, I'm supposed to nominate 8 fellow bloggers. But, all my fellow bloggers have been nominated once or twice before..plus I'm late with this.
So, I'll say..THANK YOU!!!
Also, thank you to Msteri who tagged me for an award several months ago....sorry I didn't get a chance to work on it..
Monday, January 5, 2009
I had the beginning of a blog post started earlier at work. But my attempts to email it to myself at home, caused me to accidentally delete it...DARNIT!! So now, I'm going to make the attempt to recreate it off of memory...oh boy.
Every year I make the attempt to make a resolution I think I can stick too. This year is no different. However, I think this years resolutions will be achievable. Because, I know you're dying to know, I'll list them for you.
- Start taking the home study course from NGS. I want to start doing my genealogy research correctly to insure my information is accurate. Maybe one day, I'll become certified.
- Research Trips. I'm planning to take one in a few months to NC to take pictures of the cemetery on Mill Pond Road.
- Treat my genealogy and family unity projects as a career. A career being different than a job of course. Career is something you want to do. A job is what you do to get by.
- Get more into promoting my blog. I love the fact that I can do a search for 'Spence Lowry' on Google and Yahoo and my blog is the first to pop up.
- Get organized. (Thanks to Msteri for the link) My records are some of everywhere and I have no real organization. More like, 'I know where it is' organized.
- Post to my blog more constantly. The past few months I got caught up with doing a family reunion letter and creating a database for the family, that I let the genealogy slide a bit. I'm getting back on that horse soon!\
- Possibly graduate my blog to a Wordpress blog. I've noticed alot of people with wordpress blogs and I love what they can do with them. I have a domain name, I just need to look into it a little bit more.
- Only buy the foods I really plan on cooking. So many times I end up with meat in the freezer that eventually gets thrown out due to freezer burn. From now on, I will cook everything before I buy new. I think I'll save more money that way.
- Get organized. Yeah...home is a tad unorganized....still on the philosophy of 'I know where it is'. I need to do better!
- Pay off bills.
- Eat healthy. Hopefully lose weight. But seriously eat healthier.
- um...that's about it.